Evil Genius Chat Forum Index Evil Genius Chat
Discussing world domination amongst the Evil Genius community!
Visit our EvilPlanet site - www.evilplanet.com
Visit our wiki - wiki.n1nj4.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MinionlistMinionlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Please help us to develop!

Unofficial Demo FAQ - READ BEFORE POSTING

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilJon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:49 am    Post subject: Unofficial Demo FAQ - READ BEFORE POSTING Reply with quote

THIS FAQ IS UNOFFICIAL - IT HAS BEEN WRITTEN BY EVILPLANET USERS AND ADMIN, NOT ELIXIR OR VIVENDI

Thanks to forum member a|A who wrote this excellent little guide, to which I will add to when required.

Please please read it to save certain questions being asked over and over.

-------------

Due to lots of people asking the same questions and complaining about the same things over and over, I thought it would be a good idea for a post similar to this to be put up on the forums. However it's now 11pm and I've been up since 5am. So Forgive me if I leave a few things out, I'm rather tired!

Before you say something bad about the Evil genius demo know the following things :

TOO MANY AGENTS- The Constant influx of agents is merely to give the player the feeling that the world is watching them ( and not liking them doing evil things ). In the full game you will have a lot more time to explore and watch the game progress. Agents are directly related to the 'heat' rating ( how evil you are in a sense ). The higher the heat rating, the more agents ( or the harder the agents ). I think Eviljon was quoted as saying that the demos level of agents is about 80% heat rating ( however in the full game you're more likely to get fewer agents of a higher level ).

I found that If I just killed everyone that came to my island or had the base on perminant yellow / red alert then even MORE agents came, and it was stupidly hectic. So my recommendation to all of you, is where possible, design a base where the investigating agents DONT see items of a high heat level ( Armouries, or anything to do with weapons in particular, this includes the firing range, agents seem to shoot on sight when they see one of those babies ). So, Block off the areas with the goods, if an agent wanders into your base , DONT PANIC. They'll walk around, and if you've designed your base properly, then you should be able to let them wander freely. If they try to get into a secure sector, get a valet minion to weaken them. If they get too close, TAKE THEM OUT.

Using a tactic similar to that, I managed to play through the game with next to no attacks ( at least they moved at a casual pace, unlike the first time I played through the demo )

THERE ARE NO TRAPS/EQUIPMENT/ROOMS - That's right. VU said the demo had to be under 200mb. So Elixir made a demo fitting the most they could into the smallest file size possible. that meant no traps, limited rooms, and items, henchmen, sounds, voices, etc ... etc. This is perfectly normal for a demo guys. Sure, Not having traps is dissapointing, but that is a part of the game that you'll get to play with completely in the full version.

THE ISLAND IS TOO SMALL - Same reason as above. 200mb limit. And with proper base management, it's perfectly easy to fit a decent base in a small sizeed area. If you're confused, see the 'screenshots' thread. There are some great designs in there. ( some people go a little 'door crazy' ) however whatever fancies your tickle. I think in the full game the desert island is 10 times bigger, and the jungle island is 15 times.

THE TUTORIAL SUCKS - At the end of the tutorial it will save a game for you. Load that game next time you play , and no more tutorial! Enjoy. In the full game, the tutorial is optional. You can also press BACKSPACE to skip the current line of speech.

OMG, I HAVE HAXX0R3d EVIL GENIUS! I have CHEATZ - Yes good for you. It's possible and many people have played around with it. Please don't post ANYTHING here which comes from hacking/cracking/dev mode'ing or cheating in the game. Conversation of this type can go here: http://www.n1nj4.com/viewforum.php?f=17

HENCHMAN WON'T DO SPECIAL MOVES - he has to aquire XP points. Get him to kill all the agents that come in and he will get 10 XP each time.

ALARM IS REALLY ANNOYING! - you can click TWICE on the alarm button to keep it on but turn the sound effect off.

THERE ARE BODY BAGS EVERYWHERE - Killing people is fun. And yes, it's evil. But even evil people have to be descreet about it. Either build a bigger freezer and racks. Or find other ways to get rid of pesky agents. to quote biochemist hostage "use Social attacks to confuse them. Build a lot of jail cells and imprison them. Build a base to wear out their interest until they get bored and go home."

NO ONE WILL GUARD MY LEVEL 4 DOORS - I've found the only way to get someone to guard a door is to ensure there is wallspace on either side of the door for a guard to stand. Like so :
http://members.optusnet.com.au/tomgupper3/evilgenius/standingguard.jpg

I CAN'T INTERROGATE! - Keep trying. Use the chair - it works. Try turning off red alert so no distractions around, and ensure that you click on the thief and THEN on the chair. If the connection works, then the tag above the thief's head will change. Make sure that Number 2 is watching. AND KEEP TRYING Smile. Make sure you are right-clicking on the chair.

I CAN'T MAKE ROOMS - Make sure all rooms have an entrance of two tiles wide linking to a corridor. Make sure the room is unpaused and that there is a path to it. And to keep rooms from merging into one another, put a tile gap between them. Here is a decent layout from a forum member that you can copy (huge number of doors optional Wink) - http://members.lycos.co.uk/davedodson/mybase.jpg

LEARNING CURVE SUCKS! - Explore - it's a demo! Ask here for help and read the glossery. Try things out. Use common sense Smile. One regular problem was an understanding of minion training settings - in the screen where you can set it, there are two numbers for each minion type. The one on the LEFT shows how many minions you have; the one on the RIGHT shows how many you want. Increase this and the minions will start training.

I WANNA SET UP QUICK-MOVE HOTSPOTS - Ctrl + <ANY NUMBER> stores a camera view of a position or selected entity, and <NUMBER> on it's own retrieves it. Try using it to keep a track on your henchmen or other important object/person/place.

JET CHAN IS A SUPER AGENT? YOU SURE ABOUT THAT ? HE SEEMED MORE LIKE A DUD AGENT - Jet Chan was deemed too tough for the demo, he was toned down. Super agents are a formidable foe in the full game. Jet Chan will also escape in the full version - in the demo, due to issues regarding where he would run too (no world map), he doesn't try to escape.

That is all I can remember right now, So I'll leave it at that. However there is one more thing

HOWEVER,MOST IMPORTANTLY - IT'S A DEMO. It's a TASTE of the real game. You cant show every single aspect of a game in a small demo, that would ruin the game itself. Evil genius has so many distinguishing parts, it would be silly to have all of them in the demo and ruin the game for those of us that are looking foward to it.

You get to do the following fabulous things :
Minion management
Base Building
Stocking Rooms
Interrogation

In the full game, look foward to :
Traps ( monkeyssssss! )
World Domination Map
Research
Managing the Resort
More Rooms and Equipment
More Henchmen and Minions
and of course ... More Super agents.

Elixir have done a great job and put together a demo that keeps us still wanting more, which is what a good demo should do. I hope I've answered most of the basic questions. I'll read over this in the morning and edit it accordingly. Until then, Enjoy dominating the world.

sorry for my missplesings i am franch - el spartan117
I doubt that sick wierdo will help me. He did found this wastehole. - Mister Fluffersby
Have you visited BadAdverts.co.uk yet?

Last edited by EvilJon on Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:26 am; edited 9 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
a|A
Henchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so it's more coherant than I thought it would be. PLEASE read this people. I've found so many similar posts. People complaining about the same things and saying 'how do I guard rooms' etc. I found all this stuff myself by playing through the game and reading the 'first impressions' thread. Thankyou very much to eviljon and the active forum members of the elixir dev deam ( specifically Biochemist ) for being so prompt with question answering.

( oh and eviljon, as for the interrigate thing, you might like to say that you have to RIGHT CLICK on the chair for it to work. That took me a while to figure out. Actually you might as well just put a "If in doubt, Right click" option Wink solves most problems ).

Hiddenshadow
Minion With Nametag

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good faq.

Last edited by Hiddenshadow on Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hunter_Havoc
Evil Base Designer

Location: Currently Living it up in Bender124's lair (waiting for the heat to die down).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiddenShadow please don't post spoilers like that.

There are a lot of people who are new to the game and wish to learn about it a bit at a time and not have the experience lessened by spoilers.

Ok rant over. Wink

Nice FAQ alA.

BTW welcome to the forums Hiddenshadow. Very Happy

My best base so far ( as at 04/09/04 18:57 GMT )

a|A
Henchman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and another thing Eviljon - Add "my henchman's 3rd weapon wont work - try killing people. 10 points a kill I think it got me. Eviscerate is kewl Very Happy'
Hiddenshadow
Minion With Nametag

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter_Havoc wrote:
HiddenShadow please don't post spoilers like that.

There are a lot of people who are new to the game and wish to learn about it a bit at a time and not have the experience lessened by spoilers.

Ok rant over. Wink

Nice FAQ alA.

BTW welcome to the forums Hiddenshadow. Very Happy

I didn't post spoilers. I thought everyone was well aware it existed. Unless VU asked Kiziko to get rid of that article.

Im sorry if i made a spoiler. I heard about it in a Kiziko article.

Bender124
Evil Henchman

Location: At my base, making a comeback on the EG forums! Bwahaha!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent FAQ, Jon. If only I had seen that earlier. I got my friends to try the demo, and then I spent nearly an hour explaining them that there was so much more then what was shown in the demo, and what mechanics were changed/improved. Luckily, one of my friends is definitely going to buy it, but the other one is still considering, an unfortunate series of glitches had made his EG experience horrible. Very Happy
Hunter_Havoc
Evil Base Designer

Location: Currently Living it up in Bender124's lair (waiting for the heat to die down).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little update for the FAQ about guarding the level 4 doors:

Seems so long as you have a 1x1 tile space at one side of the door (doesn't matter if there's one at each side). then you can guard it. Very Happy

EDIT:

Also the Henchmen acquire EXP points if they are involved in capturing an agent (not just killing him).

My best base so far ( as at 04/09/04 18:57 GMT )

Rubber Ducky
Mastermind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you're not sure how close your henchman is to gaining their third special ability, double click on them and look at the desired move. The bright green represents how much experience out of the total necessary has been earned. This next thing I learned after about four hours of playing Wink. If the bar is completely bright green, you need to double click on the move. The henchman's status bar will say "Training" or something. After a few seconds, they'll have learned it. I hope that helps you guys so that you don't have to go through what I did.
EvilJon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Official version of these answers: http://www.elixir-studios.co.uk/nonflash/eg/egd_faq.htm

Seems the Q and A's posted here are pretty useful Smile

Jon.

I doubt that sick wierdo will help me. He did found this wastehole. - Mister Fluffersby

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EvilJon
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Edited our unofficial FAQ to say that you can take mod/hack/cheat talk to the new forum).

Jon.

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Evil Genius Chat Forum Index -> The Demo All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: