Evil Genius Chat Forum Index Evil Genius Chat
Discussing world domination amongst the Evil Genius community!
Visit our EvilPlanet site - www.evilplanet.com
Visit our wiki - wiki.n1nj4.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MinionlistMinionlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Please help us to develop!

Fix for orphaned briefcases and other objects
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Evil Genius Chat Forum Index -> Modding Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StrikeFear
Disposable Minion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Fix for orphaned briefcases and other objects Reply with quote

If any of your minions have ever left a briefcase lying around, never to be picked up again, and thereby preventing your from, say, demolishing the room it's in...

Summary:
You'll need to edit your saved game and remove the offending briefcase.
You'll also need to remove references to that briefcase in the "memories" of agents who have seen it.
You'll put a henchman next to the briefcase to help locate the correct position. You'll open your save game, and using the location of the henchman, and the entity description id of a briefcase, you'll delete the "declaration" of the briefcase's existence. You'll also search for the entity id of that briefcase to find other references, and remove those.

Info:
The entity description id for a briefcase is:
EntityDescriptionID=10001

Steps:

(Put a henchman next to the briefcase so we can identify it)

1. Load your game. Move your EG or a henchman to the location of the briefcase. Have them stand right next to it. Note the name of the character you have moved to the location.

2. Save your game. ie "FixBriefcase"

3. Open the file for the game you saved in Notepad or Wordpad or something. Saved games are found in:
...Evil Genius\DynamicResources\Layouts
ie FixBriefcase.lay

4. Search for the name of the character you moved next to the briefcase.
Looking up from the name, locate the line that looks like
Position=195.500107,126.499901,0.000000
Note that location.

(Find the offending briefcase)

5. Now search for this line:
You are looking for briefcases. You'll likely only find a small number. Find the one whose position coordinates are very close to that of your character. Find the line for that entry that looks like:
EntityID=1742688
Note that number.

(Delete the offending briefcase)

6. Delete this entire briefcase entry. Mine looked like this:

Code:
EntityID=1742688
Position=196.039993,125.568001,0.000000
Orientation=0.707107,0.000000,0.000000,0.707107
PlayerID=1
---
Scale=Health,1.000000
Scale=Loyalty,1.000000
Scale=Smarts,1.000000
Scale=Attention,1.000000
Scale=Endurance,1.000000
-----
ItemData=0
EarmarkedForEntityID=1718501
---
Money=5000
Account=0
-----

(Remove other references to the briefcase)

7. Now search the file for the entity id of the briefcase you noted earlier:
This will possibly reveal several sections of an enemy agent's memory - they have seen this briefcase. (I don't know for sure if removing these references is necessary - but to be on the safe side...)
An entry for an agent's memory of an object looks similar to this:

Code:
ObjectEntry
ObjectID=1742688
Investigated
Interested
WaitTimer=0.000000
NumberOfAttempts=0

Delete the entire entry, from "ObjectEntry" up to the next "ObjectEntry".
Do this for each one you find.

You're done.
Unless you find other references to that ObjectId. I did not. If you do, try to trace any secondary associations, and clean those up as well. And by all means, post your findings here. Smile

Trigger
Minion With Nametag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to edit the briefcase description to make it movable? If so, that would be an easier and more permanent solution.
China Shop
Minion With Nametag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be nice to be able to simply order a minion to move the briefcase someplace else, but enacting a command like that would likely break the briefcase forever (it would never, ever arrive where it's going).

As far as removing references in minion memory goes, I'd have thought the game would have included an error handler for that kind of thing, since without one the game's very fragile... oh, wait.

Fox_King
Disposable Minion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a way, all you have to do is pause and un-pause bulding the room then the job of ading the item will be refreshed! Very Happy
Bandmasterflash
Disposable Minion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My scientists have left a research canister on the floor which has been there for ages. I've had a fiddle with the save game as described, but I don't know the name the game uses for the canister object. Anyone know, cuz I'm frustrated!!!!
gordy50
Minion with Training

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i does unfortunately not understand all that... but it hasnt happened to me all that often anyway. if its a research canister then i just have to make sure that the base is powered up and it will be gone in 10 mins, but if its a briefcase then if its not removed then ill just let a thief steal it and have him shot outside... its not so beautiful but it works Mr. Green
Hyndis
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've yet to have this happen to me.

Research canisters are only dropped if there's a line at one of the research machines. As soon as one project is done, a science minion will come by and pick up the canister. Sometimes if I have a big backlog where everyone wants to use the machine this can take a while but it does get done eventually.

Same deal with briefcases. If all of my minions are busy with something briefcases will tend to pile up on the ground all over the place. But once the problem is taken care of, they'll pick up all of the briefcases and either return them to the strongroom or buy whatever items I had ordered. This happens if I have some combat which draws in construction workers, or I try to build a whole bunch of stuff all at the same time.

I have yet to have such an orphaned item in my base. Ever. Sometimes it might take a few minutes for a minion to be free to pick it up again, but they will clean it up.
Haggisfarm
Number Two

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had a research canister sitting around my base (island 1) in my science lab for about, oh, say 5 hours, and NO CHANGE! i have one set of reasearch that that canister went to that never even begun, just sat there saying it was in progress, then when i stopped the project, the canister remained there for two more hours, i will be soon moving to island 2, so it won't be a prob. long, but i was hoping to know what to do in case this happens again
The_Sinister_Mastermind
Loquacious Exhibitionist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the first thing you do is make sure you still have at least 1 of the thing that;s being researched built. That can often be a problem people overlook, they get a newer better piece of equipment and destroy the other one forgetting that it's currently involved in research.

The largest range of skins for EG in The Skin Lab --- Entire island 1 Arctic Base Mod

WHTMTOHH?7 - 2nd Place - And winner of 'The Hat of Good Job' (^) + Consumed by Paranoia Award + Subtlety Award

The original user of "Clicky clicky..." Quit using my phrase, you're never going to be me, so just give up already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Haggisfarm
Number Two

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, i got about, 12 of them, its the hell pit trap thingy, the one where you fall in to the hole and get burned up

sadly, though, about 10 minutes after i started this post, i canceled the reasearch, then started it back up, and a scientist got ahold of it and, the prob. is gone...

Figures...

The_Sinister_Mastermind
Loquacious Exhibitionist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well so long as the problem is solved I guess.

The largest range of skins for EG in The Skin Lab --- Entire island 1 Arctic Base Mod

WHTMTOHH?7 - 2nd Place - And winner of 'The Hat of Good Job' (^) + Consumed by Paranoia Award + Subtlety Award

The original user of "Clicky clicky..." Quit using my phrase, you're never going to be me, so just give up already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Haggisfarm
Number Two

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup
omnimutant
Minion With Nametag

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does not seem to work for research canisters all it did was crash my save game file. Sad
Shark
Number Two

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

next time you want to handle something, be sure to back up your savegame... and i guess your game crashed because the canister wasn't really orphaned but rather misplaced (it was still involved in researching but noone cared to pick it up)

all researches will be done sooner or later...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
omnimutant
Minion With Nametag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it had been quite a few hours. I figured dumping it would get it going again. No biggy. Was one First island anyway so not that hard to recover.
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Evil Genius Chat Forum Index -> Modding Development All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: